The average healthy person should complete at least 150 minutes of moderate aerobic exercise each week or 75 minutes of vigorous aerobic activity each week. Most people don’t reach this target and this is one of the main reasons why obesity is on the rise.
Why fitness is important:
Well it helps all kinds of things in our everyday life and can helps us avoid future illnesses. Getting up to 30 minutes of exercise has been proven to lift your mood and reduce stress. Light cardio can reduce your chance of having a stroke, heart disease, metabolic syndrome, and diabetes, so surely its a must for you to get at least 30 minutes of light exercise a day…
What activities can you do?
There are many activities that you can complete each day to keep your body healthy and fit, some of these include:
- Swimming – reduction of future joint pain or injury due to zero resistance from the water.
- Running – can be done almost anywhere, however road running is hard on the knees and can cause joint pains and arthritis in later life.
- Walking – easy to do and can be very relaxing if in the right environment such as walking along the beach or through the countryside.
- Tennis – its a great pulse raiser and increases blood flow, its also fun and there are tennis clubs which you can join and make friends.
These are only some of the activities you can take part in.
Healthier state of mind
Many studies have shown that exercise helps with depression, some people believe these are some of the reasons for this:
- Exercise may block negative thoughts or distract you from your daily life and worries.
- Increased fitness may lift your mood and improve sleep patterns.
- exercising with others gives you the opportunity for increased social contact.
- Exercise will also increase the amount of chemicals in the brain, such as serotonin, endorphins, and stress hormones.
So get out there and start exercising for at least 30 minutes a day even if its just going for a walk!!